Cord Blood Banking
Why more and more doctors recommend preserving your baby’s umbilical cord blood:
Your baby’s cord blood contains a life-saving resource called stem cells. Collected in a safe, painless procedure after birth, your baby’s cord blood stem cells can provide your family with distinct advantages in fighting certain diseases. In fact, many doctors and scientists believe that in the future, stem cells may also be used to treat brain damage and spinal cord injuries.
Here are some of the currently known benefits of cord blood stem cells:
- Cord blood stem cells have been used as part of the treatment therapy for nearly 40 life-threatening diseases, including Leukemia and other cancers, genetic diseases and immune system deficiencies.
- Researchers are now looking to cord blood for answers to Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes and Muscular Dystrophy.
How to determine the quality of a cord blood company:
You only get one chance to preserve your baby’s cord blood. That’s why it’s critical to select a high-quality cord blood company. Here are key questions to ask before selecting a cord blood company:
- What is their “transplant success” rate?
(Above all, make sure their stored blood has a proven success record.)
- Does the company adhere to the highest industry standards? (Is the company AABB-accredited and, more importantly, is their laboratory CLIA-certified and registered with the FDA?)
- Does their service include bedside pick-up by a Private Medical
Courier? (Some companies ship their cord blood via common package delivery companies.)
- Is the company committed to the future of cord blood? (Do they offer a Quality Guarantee? Are they committed to discovering new uses for cord blood by investing in their own research and development?)